This is a picture of my magical sourdough start. I got my start from Karen, one of the lovely ladies in my ward. The directions tell you to keep it in your refrigerator and then take it out and feed it every 5-7 days. Now, anyone who knows me can see that eventually, that was going to be a problem. I started out feeding it on schedule. After feeding it, I used it to make bread, rolls, and yummy cinnamon rolls.
But then I got pregnant. So I didn't feed it for a couple of weeks.
I pulled it out to make cinnamon rolls for Annika's baptism last May.
But then I didn't use it again until July. I had to feed it twice to get it all foamy, and to the point where I could use it, but it came right back. I was thrilled! Wow, you don't have to feed it every 5-7 days, but it will work anyway!
I tried to tell one of my friends who has a start (there's a whole group of us in my ward) that it was unnecessary to take it on vacation in order to ensure it didn't die while she was gone, because look how long mine went. She told me that she killed one of her starts after just two weeks without feeding it. Which explains why she takes it on vacation.
Meanwhile, I fed mine in July and didn't feed it again until last week. That's right, I went 8 MONTHS without feeding it. As you can see from the picture, it recovered just fine. So, the only conclusion that I can come to is that my start is magical. So, if you think you would like a magical sourdough start, let me know, because I have a tendency to forget I fed it, so I end up feeding it three days in a row before I remember to make it into dough. So, I always have extra to share! And seriously, it makes delicious rolls.
3 comments:
that does sound magical. i'm pretty sure i've killed at least one sour dough start before. :)
I want some!!!
Can I have some magical bacteria? That is just the thing I need!
Post a Comment